The Environmental Committee works to protect the watershed and to educate the public on forestry issues, erosion control, hazardous waste, recycling, and other issues. We also monitor government policies and procedures.
PG&E is a high priority for the Environmental Committee due to its massive and destructive felling of trees to prevent wildfires when unsafe, unreliable, antiquated equipment is the fundamental cause of the fires. From working on legislation and a new Franchise Agreement for PG&E in the County to in-depth research and analysis to support work with agencies affecting PG&E and helping folks protect their trees from PG&E’s contractors, this keeps the group busy. We work with a State-wide Utility Wildfire Prevention Taskforce on these issues.
Your help is needed.
Visit https://endpowerlinefires.com for more information.
River & Road Clean Up
with Save Our Shores
Annual Environmental Town Hall
Felton Community Hall
First Saturday of the month
Second Saturday if the first Saturday is a holiday weekend.
10:30 am at VWC Office at Highlands Park Senior Center
On Zoom and in-person. Email for Zoom info.
Meetings are open to the public.
Call 338-6578 or email for information.
Become a Member
or Make a Donation!
The VWC strongly endorses the SLVWD’s proposed CZU Fire Recovery surcharge, limited to 5 years, as the solution to provide for critical financial needs caused by the fire.
As owner/rate-payers of the water district, it is critical that we support the proposed surcharge to pay for fire recovery and resiliency.
Responding to the fire emergency has severely depleted the district’s reserves. Resources were exhausted by the need to restore water service quickly to customers following the CZU fire.
The district must have resources to support its current long-range planning. These plans address deferred infrastructure repairs, unrelated to the fire. We also need to build the reserve, to be prepared for future demands.
75% of Fire Recovery costs are covered by FEMA. The remaining 25% must be covered by the owner/rate-payers, hence the need for the surcharge. Fortunately, the district received a 300K grant for watershed restoration to protect surface water supplies, so those costs will not be added to the surcharge.
We encourage you to support the Surcharge request to ensure we have a reliable, quality Water District ongoing into the future.
The Board of The Valley Women’s Club of San Lorenzo Valley
Nancy Macy, Chair VWC Environmental Committee
Julie Wuest, Member VWC Environmental Committee
Read what the Friends of San Lorenzo Valley Water has to say regarding the CZU Fire Recovery Surcharge.
Read SLVWD CZU Fire Recovery Surcharge by Mark Dolson